Mayfair is conducting a search for a stylist to join the existing team. The search will begin with a call for applications, of which six candidates will be selected to partake in Fashion Styling Challenges where they will be judged by a panel of local personalities, as well as public voting on social media channels. The candidates will face elimination after each challenge.
A panel of local, influential fashion personalities including our current Mayfair stylist Khloe Campbell (YAM magazine), Tracey Drake, (Editor of NICHE magazine), Iain Russell (Co Owner at Eng•lish Menswear and Creator at Is this Menswear?), and Karen Elgersma (Host, Go! Island South, Shaw TV) will judge the candidates’ styling.
The first place candidate will be awarded:
- A $7,500 contract as a Mayfair Stylist
- Exposure to a new level of media and clientele
- A position as the featured blogger and social media fashion voice for Mayfair
- Styling input in a Mayfair seasonal look book photo shoot (for their portfolio!)
- $1000 in Mayfair Gift Cards to boost their own wardrobe
And all of the finalists who participate in the search will gain more media exposure, more contacts and networking opportunities, and a professional video reel for their portfolio.
THE JOB POSTING
Do you love fashion and shopping? Do you have strong customer service skills and experience in retail sales? Do you dream in hashtags and love Instagram? If you enjoy working in a team environment, being creative, and helping people look and feel their best, then Mayfair wants you!
Mayfair Shopping Centre is seeking a talented Fashion Stylist with a love for building customer connections to join the Mayfair Stylist Team! You are a “people person” with natural warmth and a good eye for what works for all body types. An expert in the fashion community, you’ll provide trends, style direction, advice, and second opinions with the goal of creating a personal style for each customer.
In addition, you will work with the Mayfair team on our social media/twitter pages, write fashion posts and blogs for the website and Facebook pages, and assist in the merchandising and fashion displays in centre court.
This position will be on an “as needed” basis with booking customer appointments.
- Working knowledge of style trends and developments in fashion, with a keen eye of “what’s next” in fashion
- Warmth and enthusiasm, with a knack for building personal relationships
- Strong communication, organizational, prioritizing, and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge and use of social media technologies including but not limited to Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. You are a hashtag queen or king and have examples of how you created a loyal audience
- Experience with conducting wardrobe consultations and presenting product solutions
- Experience in merchandising and displays; creative ability and good visualization skills
- Strong work ethic and “can do” attitude
- Be team oriented. Creative. Friendly.
- Business/Fashion education or equivalent years of experience in clothing retail
A Day in the Life as Mayfair Fashion Stylist:
- Respond to customer requests for style sessions, gather and document all information, and book appointments
- Work with clients and develop an image and wardrobe specific to your client’s needs, goals, lifestyle, personal style, and body type to improve their overall appearance
- Ability to create and maintain good relationships with the retailers in the mall
- Be the voice of and manage engagement of @MayfairStyle on Twitter
- Draft blog posts on fashion and trends
- Develop Facebook posts, and contribute fashion content and input to the Mayfair website and Facebook page
- Assist with displays, fashion merchandising, fashion events and photo shoots
Sound like YOU?
If you meet these qualifications and are ready to work within a dynamic team, we want you! Applications must include a resume, a portfolio (if available) and also one unique and current sample blog post that is fashion-related, local, and Mayfair specific. Be creative! Get our attention!
Applications will be narrowed down to six candidates who will compete in Mayfair Stylist Challenges: Blog Post Challenge, Mannequin Styling Challenge, Personal Shopping Challenge. After each round, candidate(s) will be eliminated. The Search will conclude with a fashion event and a winner will be announced May 29. By taking part in the Mayfair Stylist Search, you will be able to gain experience and exposure – and build your portfolio!
Submit your resume, portfolio, and one unique blog post (500 words or less) that is fashion-related, local, and Mayfair specific to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver your package in person to the admin office at Mayfair by April 17, 2014.
From these applicants, six candidates will be announced on April 28th. We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
All applications must be received by April 17th. We look forward to learning about you!
THE SEARCH FOR THE STYLIST TIMELINE
|April 17||Deadline for applications|
|April 28||Announce 6 Candidates|
|May 8||First Challenge|
|May 22||Fashion Event|
|May 29||Winner Announced|
Finalists will be judged on:
- Fashion Sense
- Customer service skills and fashion experience
- Attention to detail
- Ability to build relationships and connect with people
- Public voting on social media**
** Tell everyone you know to vote for you online! Rally your whole network! The more people that get behind you, the better it looks to the judges. **
Finalist Challenge #1: Blog Post and Bring Your Style to Life (May 8th)
In the open air, finalists will style two mannequins – one for a 18-25 year old look, one for 40-50 year old look. There will be one female and one male mannequin provided. This challenge will be carried out in front of customers, judges, and the general public.
Finalist Challenge #2: 5 Minutes of Fame
Here’s your chance to shine for the big screen (well, LCD screens, anyway). In video interviews, each stylist will be asked a number of questions about their craft. Confidence, a solid understanding of your profession, and quick thinking will be critical here.
Finalist Challenge #3: Style a Client from Bridges for Women
Here is where style, personality, and the real world come together. Finalists must call their assigned client from Bridges for Women, make an appointment, and conduct the session as they normally would with a real client. You will have a budget of $500 to work within.
Ongoing Challenge: Social Media Skills
If you are to be the fashion voice and authority at Mayfair, this is an important challenge to do right! We want to see your Mayfair Stylist Search experience through your eyes, and how well you engage an audience in your journey. Using the hashtag #mayfairstylesearch, we will follow your story and enjoy the ride!
The Grand Finale: Search for the next Mayfair Stylist Event (May 22nd)
The fashion event will be open to the general public from 6pm – 8pm and will feature the finalists in a Style Lounge/Style Bar. Guests will be treated to red carpet photos, free manicures, make-up touch-ups, food and drinks. And then at 7pm: THE BIG REVEAL! Each Stylist will introduce their made-over Bridges client and speak to how and why they chose their new look. There will be a brief fashion presentation, hosted by local celebrity personalities from KOOL FM and CTV.
Following the event, our judges will meet to discuss the winner who will be announced May 29th.
Good luck to all applicants!